3.12.2006

Like driving without my glasses on

It's pretty much official that SUV drivers are my least favorite on the road. Don't get me wrong, drunk drivers are crazy and dangerous and stupid and all that jazz, but generally when you're driving along and you see Sir Swervo up there, you know he's drunk. But an SUV? That's just an itchy trigger finger on ten cups of coffee. You never know when he's gonna peel out, slam the breaks, take the worlds sharpest turn, etc. For instance, when was the last time you saw an SUV driver use the turn signal? They feel they don't need to. All with good reason to them, I'm sure, as any accident they're in doesn't matter, since your little car can fit right beneath their huge steel chassis. Anyway, to my point: this morning was one of those mornings when the fog seems so thick you find yourself holding your breath in fear of drowning. As I was driving, I'd wait until I could see something in the road, mark my odometer, and then see how far off it was until I got there. It was roughly, but not exactly, one 20th of a mile visibility. Given that there's about 1500 feet to a mile, if memory serves me right (and this would be a milestone if it truly did), that's about 75 feet of visibility. I could spit molasses farther than that. And what do I see emerge from the fog? Nothing but the worlds whitest SUV come peeling over traintracks with no breaking and no headlights. No headlights. I could barely make this guy out as I drove two feet next to him and he decided it wasn't foggy enough for headlights.

I should have hit him right then and there. I hate my car enough to do it, too. But like I said, my car would have merely destroyed itself beneath his. Man I hate SUVs.

Speaking of foggy mornings, I'm pretty sure they're my most favorite morning ever. I could never really figure out why, but I think that today I may have pieced it all together. Mornings are inherently the worst thing ever. Waking up and saying goodbye to dreamworld, and let me tell you my dream world is amazing (last night I just took a three-day long programming class in Sweden. Booya.), is one of the more painful things to have to do, especially when it means leaving amazing comfort and going to work, or worse, class. But foggy mornings seem to have beaten the curve. I mean, if you think about it, it's like you still are dreaming. Like the morning hasn't quite happened to you yet, and then it takes it's time in disappearing all gradually. Perfect way to phase into the day. Speaking of, I once had this awesome dream where it was all foggy and in black and white, but all the people that I talked to were in color. And I had a letter in my hand from an old friend that I read in my dream. Apparently, you're not supposed to be able to read in your dream. Take that, analysts. And Therapists. Analrapists.

man I miss Arrested Development.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I don't drive an SUV but I had to drive one as a loner while my car was getting some repair work done. I felt invincible in that thing!

anyways...

...Speaking of driving and my irresistible charm, I managed to dodge another ticket on my way to work the other night :) I'm not sure how I get so lucky????

3/12/2006 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's move to Sweden!!!!

3/15/2006 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey look david, fog always equals something crazy involving a cult, a small town named silent hill, and creepy nurses wielding large butcher knives. I WON'T HAVE IT.


<3.1415926...

teddy

3/17/2006 1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home