11.21.2006

I heart Detroit

Seriously, every time I go to work, I think to myself how much better Detroit is getting. Every day, it looks and feels a little bit better, and though my store is ten paces from "da hood" (meaning a row of projects dedicated to the proliferation of crack cocaine and illegal/stolen DVDs), it just seems like the smog of run-down urban life is finally lifting. And just when I get done thinking that very thought for today, I leave work, only to find a huge glass bottle smashed under my tire.
"Great," I think. "Good luck steering around that." And as I think about how sharply I'm going to have to turn the wheel to avoid shredding yet another tire, I realize that in the midst of the glass isn't what I thought was the label from the bottle, but the label from a new tape deck adapter I had just bought two days ago. And around it, the shattered pieces of what was left of my passenger window.
As I look up in horror at my missing heat retention barrier, which I value most this time of year, I see a little white cord dangling out onto the side of my car: the tape adapter. "Lucky for me," I think. "They only took the CD player. A good tape adapter is nearly impossible to find these days." Seriously, ask Dan. He'll back me up.
They also stole my phone charger. Luckily, my phone fell down into my footwell when I went into work today. Of course, I had to slice my hand open on glass shrapnel to find it, but at least it was there.
On my very frigid ride home, I looked over at the glass pile and tossed-about innards of my glove compartment trying to find anything useful. Luckily I found a very large chunk of concrete. I kept that, thinking that one day, it might be good for breaking something, such as glass. You never know when that'll come in handy.
I wanted to take a picture of the mess my car was left in and the rock and everything, but they stole my camera, too. I guess that just means it's time for a DSLR.
And a car alarm.

and a ccw.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would definately take care of getting that cow. I hear having a cow is expensive and painful but completely worth it!

(still haven't remembered my username)

11/27/2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

HAHA! I just remembered! Booyah!

11/27/2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger Dave LaGory said...

Shan, you're so cute it's ridiculous. It doesn't say cow, it says "ccw," as in permit to carry concealed weapons. Hehee, but I bet having a cow would be a boon as well. Milk always thwarts evil.

11/30/2006 2:19 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

LOL!!! whew! I'm a smart one and incredibly funny if I may say so :)

12/04/2006 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home