4.09.2006

The Ending of an Era

So today is my last day at this store, officially. I still have two unofficial days, but those are more just filler making sure that people don't get *totally* screwed over in my absence. It's weird to be finally leaving after having trained my replacement. Sort of, anyway. How it really went was like this:
1. Replacement is hired and scheduled to fill in gaps in schedule, with just enough overlap for me to teach her what I do.
2. Replacement begins to catch on at a good pace, making me really happy that someone competent will be filling my shoes.
3. Replacement definitely begins to catch on to the fact that in doing my job, I also do my bosses job, because he's too pompous and lazy to actually spend a day working.
4. Replacement stops learning from me, as she starts to learn from my boss. This mostly entails learning only inane details for things that never happen as that's what pretentious people do. As it turns out, she's just as pretentious as he is.
5. Replacement gets huge attitude with me, to which my response becomes ignoring her and my boss, as I now do both their jobs.
6. Replacement watches me take on the attitude of "not my problem," in that anything that I can't find in my employee manual pertaining to me is completely and totally in one ear, out the other.
7. Suddenly, I love my job. Meanwhile, my replacement hates me. I think because I've pretty much made it so that she and my/our boss have to work.
8. I leave. I leave to go work in Detroit, a city that has only slightly fewer one-way streets than Ann Arbor, but the buildings are huge so you have no chance of seeing what comes next. So what if I got really lost yesterday? I found my way back out. And if I do get stuck there, then the crackheads will save me. They already did once.
9. There really isn't a number nine, but I feel driven to getting to ten.
10. Addition to my blog from a fellow coworker (guess who it might be): i love matt smith and i will miss working with him every friday and sunday :(
he should quit, so that my replacement and my boss will just have that much more work to do.
Truth is, I actually will miss him and Keith. And Dave, my boss, but that's a given since he got me the job when I was desperate for work. What needs to happen is that they need to come with me. We'll be a force the likes of which Detroit has never seen, mostly because our group is 75% white. Ouch. Done and done.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

It's about freikin time!

4/09/2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Dave LaGory said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/09/2006 10:57 PM  
Blogger Dave LaGory said...

Previous comment deleted because I cannot spell. Much like Shannon. But at very least, she's mastered the "i before e" rule! Wait...

4/09/2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

dood, just becuz i cant spiell vary gude is no reesun to maik phun uv mee.

Gosh!

4/12/2006 12:52 AM  
Blogger Dave LaGory said...

If nothing more, you've mastered phonetics.

4/12/2006 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home