4.18.2006

Stay in School, you're a fool.

If I had to describe my feelings on school in just one word, I would consequently type out every dirty word that came to mind without using the spacebar to maximize the effectiveness of that exercise. Nothing is more frustrating than paying thousands of dollars to specifically do exactly what I don't want to do. I don't want to drive out here every-other-day so I can sit and listen to some pompous jerk talk about nothing at all, especially when what he has to say is about one fifth as much detail as what I could easily have read from my book. And my book? It's there more than one hour every two days. When I'm good and ready, I read it. I read it much faster than a professor could explain it to me, unless that professor is very good at his job, in which case he would have a job at a different university.
I'd like for once to have a professor who would just take 20 minutes once a week to talk to me in person, one on one, and just tell me what sections are important. If I have a question, great, if not, go do my work. I tire of all this busy work these professors give, like it's third grade again. I think next time I get a homework packet I'm going to do it with colored pencils and crayons just so I don't feel like it's such a farce.
Case and point, my calc class last year. I took Calc I in highschool, and upon going to Hillsdale, I went straight to Calc III my freshman year. I then took Number Theory, Differential Equations, one class I don't remember anything from (Linear Algebra), and college algebra. That last one was more of a joke. And funny it was. Anyway, I'm a good 3-4 classes out of Calc at this point, and last year my advisor tells me that I simply HAVE to take Calc II, or I can't graduate. What? is there really a doubt as to whether or not I could do it? If people really don't care about what you can do, just what's on a sheet of stinkin' paper, people like this guy get jobs in place of hard workers like myself. Serves them right, but seems to work strangely against me. Anyway, so I sign up for this tard-class, and the only available time is exactly when I get out of work every day, 45 minutes away. I sign up anyway, mostly because I'm stupid. After about two months of continuously not being able to make it to class, I e-mail the professor and cut a deal with him: I'll study up, take the first test that I missed during his office hour (giving me literally one hour to take the test that was given over an hour and a half), and then take the next test with the class two days later. He says it's cool, giving me two days to study for the first test, and then two more days to study for the second. Impossible?
More like easy. I blew through them both. And the deal was made again at the end of the semester: two tests, this time five days. I must have been too relaxed with that extra day or something. I had a complete brain-freeze on the first test and ended up with a "C" on it. The final, however, knew to go down in the hole and rub the lotion on its skin. But when I talked to the professor two days after the final, this is what he had to say to me:
"You did very well on three of the exams, and decent on the fourth. Pretty impressive for about two weeks of work. But, since you turned in only one homework assignment (I had also one homework and one quiz that I took at the midterm time, during those 4 days) and only took one of the quizzes, I can't validate giving you anything better than a D for the course. It's the best I can do. Part of my job as the professor is to see that you meet certain criteria set by the board, and part of that is homework and in-class quizzing."
What. The. . Since when is a teacher's job not to ensure that his students understand the material, but instead perform enough of the busy work to satisfy some board of jerks who probably don't remember a lick of calculus for exactly that reason?? As mad as I was, I couldn't fault my professor. He gets paid by them, not by my hand directly. (Maybe the lesson to learn here is to ensure that the prof. does get paid by my hand directly. Bribes, not dogs, are man's best friends.)
Seriously though. What a bloated structure of jerks. All I want is to be able to take all of my courses in 4-8 week stints. Anything more than 8, it moves too slow and I stop caring. Heck, after 2-week calculus, even 4 weeks seems generous. Here's an offer: I'll pay four times my tuition to have class last for one fourth the length. Any college would have to have a retarded board of directors to pass that up.
Oh... yeah.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is what conclusion I came to after reading your first paragraph:
....You obviously attend U of M.
ooooooooooh!BOOYA!

....On a more sensative note, I'm sorry you are going through this, kiddo. I am the FIRST to admit that school BLOWS! But I have some beneficial information to share with you.... Did you know that OSU runs on quarters, not semesters??? Yep, classes are in 9 week incraments! I know that is one week past your liking, but it's MUUUUUCH better than 1,000 weeks - or however long semesters are!
I really think you should take this into serious consideration. ...I'm not joking.

4/19/2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

First of all, Kristi, you crack me up and I believe you crack yourself up too, which is one reason I love you.

Second, tell us how you really feel Dave! Seriously I had no idea. But after all of that I'm starting to understand how much you hate school. I'm pretty sure that you are gonna get the award for the person who hates school the most.

And third. My friend Kristi who just so happens to live in Columbus, home of the Buckeyes, makes an excellent point about going to school that runs on quarters and not semesters. I also think you should consider moving to Columbus to attend OSU. I would support that 100%!

Anyways, hang in there kid!

4/20/2006 4:25 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Ants can supposedly lift up to 3 times their weight. I put a CD cover on one and he still has yet to lift it. I'm stronger than an ant.

4/23/2006 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home